Eight more days until Christmas. I can’t believe it! I don’t feel anywhere near ready for the trip back to Colorado, let alone for the whirlwind of activities that will be taking place over the next few days. James & I are going to Disneyland on Thursday–he bought us annual passes to the park, woohoo!!–and we’ll be having some of his fellow residents over for a holiday dinner party on Friday. The weekend will be a flurry of activity; we’ll be getting ready and buying last-minute presents before we fly out on Monday night. And when we finally make it down to my parents’ house on the 24th, we’ll be hitting the ground running; church, dinner, and a baking and cooking frenzy until guests arrive for our holiday potluck on the 25th. I think somewhere in that chaos will be presents… or possibly a few minutes to stop and enjoy ourselves and the fact that we can finally be together as a family on Christmas for the first time in two years. It sounds tiring and overwhelming, to say the least.
I can’t wait.
If I get the chance, I’ll try and make this hot chocolate for everyone (somewhere between baking and sleeping, that is). It’s decadent and rich–the servings are small, and for good reason. I know that there’s a lot of cream in it, and the healthy individual in you cries at the thought of its fat content. But hey, friends–it’s the holidays! The fat we’re putting on our hips is January’s problem! (At least, that’s what I tell myself when I go to town on the holiday fare.)
Rich, creamy chocolate with a hint of bitter cocoa and a sweet aftertaste of peppermint… perfect for those holiday nights with family. Now I’m tempted to make another batch for myself…
Andes® Mint Hot Chocolate
- 3 c. milk
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 8 Andes® chocolate mints
- whipped cream (optional)
- cocoa, for dusting
- Heat up a sauce pan over medium-low and add the milk and heavy cream. Stir occasionally to prevent a layer of film from forming at the top of the liquid.
- When the milk starts steaming, take ~2 Tbsp. of hot milk and add to a small bowl with the cocoa powder and stir to mix. Add this cocoa mixture into the sauce pan, then add the sugar and stir until the sugar and cocoa have dissolved.
- Set aside 4 mugs and place 2 Andes® mints in each.
- Pour a small amount of hot milk into each cup, then stir until the mint chocolate has melted.
- Add the rest of the milk into each cup. Add whipped cream and sprinkle with cocoa if you’d like.
- Serve immediately.