Cauliflower Pizza

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Everybody makes the resolution to lose weight at the beginning of the year—so much so that it’s trite. But with the prevalence of Bad Food in our grocery stores and supermarkets today, it becomes increasingly harder to not only keep your resolution, but to continue it even after you’ve lost the weight. A great way to stay on the path to your fitness goal is to alter your diet in a healthy and non-dramatic way. But healthy weight loss is kind of slow… and so, I go the crazy-pants route by cutting carbohydrates out of my diet completely. (Disclaimer: This is NOT healthy and NOT maintainable! I will explain further below.)

My girlfriend’s bachelorette party is in Las Vegas, and one of the events on the itinerary is a Beach Club—if you’re not familiar with the idea, it’s a day club that is poolside and outdoors, with cabana service replacing bottle service along the sides. Basically, everyone is in their skivvies and there is no place to hide from judging eyes. I realized that this was going to be a part of the trip about a month before the trip… and that’s why I took such drastic measures and cut carbs out.

Flipped the slice so the crust is visible--looks great!

Flipped the slice so the crust is visible–looks great!

With all of that said, I decided to try my hand at cauliflower pizza because it was, in my mind, a great way to have Bad Food (pepperoni pizza) without sacrificing my diet. And yes, technically there are no starchy, carbohydrate components. But what it doesn’t have in carbs it makes up for in fat: cheese, cheese, and more cheese. This cauliflower pizza crust recipe is delicious, but I just wanted to debunk the idea that it is healthy because it doesn’t have bread in it. This is not the case. However, if you are looking for a way to have pizza that is gluten-free… this is the recipe for you.

Look at that nice crispy crust!

Look at that nice crispy crust!

The key to making the crust cohesive and not crumbly is the amount of water you wring out of the ground cauliflower before shaping the crust. You cannot do this half-heartedly—I don’t know how else to emphasize this point, other than to say that your hard work will look more like cheesy cauliflower mash than crust. I spent over 5-7 minutes just wringing the water out of the cauliflower as hard as I could, and I ended up with a perfect crust that held together—even when I picked it up by the edges.

This recipe is for the crust only and not for the toppings, as I am assuming you have an idea of what you would prefer on your own pizza. For reference, I have used tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and thinly-sliced pepperoni… simple, but delicious!

Great, now I'm hungry for cauliflower pizza again...

Great, now I’m hungry for cauliflower pizza again…

Recipe adapted from The Lucky Penny Blog.

Cauliflower Pizza

• 1/2 teaspoon dried, crushed oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 1 egg

Directions:

1. Place your pizza stone/upside-down baking sheet in the oven and heat to 450F.
  2. Trim the large green leaves and stems from the cauliflower and roughly chop into 2 inch pieces.
  3. Rinse the cauliflower under running water.
  4. Place the cauliflower in a food processor or blender and pulse until the cauliflower is finely ground—it will look like powdery snow. If your processor/blender is smaller, just ground the cauliflower in batches.
  5. Remove the grounded cauliflower from the processor/blender and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover the bowl loosely with a paper towel or plastic wrap and microwave for 3 minutes.
  6. Place the (hot!) grounded cauliflower onto a dish towel and spread evenly so that it will cool down faster. After the cauliflower is cool enough to handle, gather the cauliflower into a pile in the center of the dish towel, gather the corners, and wring the water content out of the cauliflower over a sink. This is VERY IMPORTANT—spend a few minutes wringing out the water! Just one or two wrings will not get the job done. I spent ~5 minutes on mine.
  7. Empty the cauliflower from the dish towel back into a bowl. (Don’t be alarmed if the amount of cauliflower without water fits in your hand—this is still enough to work with!)
  8. Mix the cauliflower with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, the oregano, basil, kosher salt and garlic powder. I used my hand and found this easier than using a spoon.
  9. When everything is mixed, add the egg and mix again with your hand until the egg is fully integrated.
  10. If you have a pizza paddle( called a peel), place parchment paper on the paddle. If not, a cutting board will still do the trick—just place your parchment paper on top of the board.
  11. Dump the cauliflower mixture onto the parchment paper and form into a 12-in. diameter crust with a thickness of ¼ inch. [NOTE: You may want to grease your parchment paper well before placing the mixture to ensure that the crust doesn't stick to the surface!]
  12. Slide the parchment paper off your peel/board and onto the pizza stone/baking sheet in the oven and bake for 8-11 minutes, or until the crust is golden-brown and looks crispy at the edges.
  13. Grab the parchment paper and slide it and the pizza crust back onto your peel/board, close the oven, and garnish with your chosen toppings.
  14. Place the pizza and the parchment paper back into the oven and on the stone/sheet for another 5-7 minutes. My pizza finished baking in 5 minutes!
  15. Let it cool down for a few minutes before slicing up and digging in.

Published on by

Tagged: , , , , ,

Comments: 39

1. Eve May 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm Reply

Made this the other day but of course didn’t wring out the water enough so it was just cauliflower mash with assorted vegetables on top. =P Next time I will take your advice and spend the extra 5-7 minutes to squeeze out the water. Thank you for the recipe and tip!

2. madscar June 8, 2013 at 2:15 am Reply

Love it! Thanks for recipe :)

3. Tami September 8, 2013 at 6:00 pm Reply

I made this and suggest that you heavily grease the parchment paper before you put the cauliflower on it. I only lightly greased it and it stuck like crazy. Tasted great but was a mess!

4. Yummy October 17, 2013 at 2:33 pm Reply

It would be amazing if you would take the time to calculate the nutritional information

• admin October 17, 2013 at 3:43 pm Reply

My goodness, I wish I had the technology to do so! I’ll see what I can do based on the ingredients I’ve put into the crust, though. Thanks for the suggestion!

• LaDeeDah October 18, 2013 at 7:37 am Reply

While I agree that it would be handy if she had calculated the nutritional info (if you have access to the interwebs, you have access to the technology), I’ve found it’s always best to do it yourself. Different brands of cheese and varying egg size will change the info per person making the dish.

• Kathryn May 5, 2014 at 7:46 am Reply

Based on the info above I calculated some nutritional info
      Serves 2
      Total fat: 8.8g
      Saturated fat: 4.4g
      Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
      Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
      Trans: 0g
      Cholesterol: 110.3mg
      Sodium: 628.8mg
      Potassium: 945.4mg
      Total carbs: 16.5g
      Dietary Fiber: 6.4g
      Sugars: 5.9g
      Protein: 15.8g
      And total calories 191 if you share the pizza so just double up if you plan on eating it all by yourself.
      This excludes any toppings.

• Karin June 10, 2014 at 10:40 am Reply

Can you please tell me how you are calculating the carbs?

5. The Travelling Chopsticks October 18, 2013 at 7:17 am Reply

This looks amazing!! I saw it today on Buzzfeed and cannot wait to make it – i’m also excited about exploring the rest of your blog! Love the pics :)

• admin October 19, 2013 at 5:46 pm Reply

Thank you so much! It is definitely a cheese-tastic & tasty concoction. :) I hope you find more recipes to your liking, and thanks for visiting!

6. Sherry October 20, 2013 at 7:36 am Reply

I’ll try this using a ricer, it always works for cauliflower mash!

• admin October 21, 2013 at 9:00 pm Reply

That’s a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion–I may try doing the same! :)

7. Satisfying Low-Carb Dinners | Pinky Ring October 22, 2013 at 9:35 am Reply

[…] umamiholiday.com […]

8. Shirley Yeo November 16, 2013 at 11:37 pm Reply

Made it tonight. TIP: I cooked the cauliflower “snow” on a cookie sheet to dry out some of the liquid rather than spending 10 minutes ringing it out per the recipe.
    Worked great! Only thing was after I had cooked the crust and put the toppings on, the crust became soft and not firm and crispy. I added 1/2 cup cheddar cheese instead of Monz and my 1/2 t of spices were generous – the crust tastes great just on it’s own! :)

9. […] Recipe via Umami Holiday […]

10. Myriam January 6, 2014 at 7:05 pm Reply

Wow. This looks awesome. But I don’t have a microwave. Do you have any suggestions for using an oven or stove?
    Thanks!

• admin January 7, 2014 at 12:51 pm Reply

Hi Myriam! If you don’t have a microwave, you can use a parchment-lined or aluminum foil-lined sheet and bake the grated cauliflower in the oven at 170ºF; keep the door open so the cauliflower doesn’t cook, it just dehydrates. Times are variable depending on the oven, humidity of your location and water content of the cauliflower, so I would stick around and check on it every 10-20 minutes. When it feels lightly damp to the touch, you’re ready to incorporate it into the rest of the recipe. Good luck!

11. […] umamiholiday.com […]

12. […] umamiholiday.com […]

13. Lynn January 14, 2014 at 1:52 pm Reply

I do not use a microwave, can I steam the cauliflower first then put in the food processor and then squeeze out the water? Thank you!!! Looking forward to trying this!!!

• admin January 14, 2014 at 1:55 pm Reply

Hi Lynn! Steaming it first works just as well! The microwave is a shortcut for those of us with less patience ;) I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I do!

14. Lynn January 14, 2014 at 1:54 pm Reply

Sorry, I should have read the comments above. I read your suggestion regarding using the oven. THANK YOU!!!!

15. Ana January 30, 2014 at 7:18 am Reply

Just tried it. It was delicious! My husband and I loved it and so did my picky 4 year old! What a surprise! It turned out just perfect!
    Thank you for sharing the recipe!

• admin February 13, 2014 at 9:59 pm Reply

Thank you for giving it a shot, Ana, I’m glad it turned out so well for you and your family! :)

16. Kim January 31, 2014 at 7:28 pm Reply

You have to cook the crust in both sides for it to be firm and not be mushy. Cook it for about 6 minutes on both sides. Use a plate or foil to flip it. I’ve cooked it both ways and the crust will not work if you don’t do this.

• admin February 13, 2014 at 9:59 pm Reply

Thanks for the feedback Kim! I found that the crust worked okay without flipping it, but this is a great tip for people that are looking to troubleshoot a mushy crust. Thanks again for your input!

17. joe February 17, 2014 at 8:02 am Reply

Hello Kim,

I will make this tonight and would love to know if you ever tried to put a thin layer of tomato sauce on the crust before or after the cheese went on. (real pizza style!)

I will cook the crust well done so it doesn’t get too soggy.

18. joe February 17, 2014 at 10:27 am Reply

sorry,

I meant Kris!

• admin February 17, 2014 at 9:00 pm Reply

No harm done Joe! :) I usually put the tomato sauce on the crust after the initial baking of the crust before the cheese, treating it like traditional bread crust. I hope that clears things up!

19. Randy Brooks April 5, 2014 at 10:36 pm Reply

Here is my rough estimate of the nutrition of each half of this meal for two, not including the pepperoni shown, 182 calories each, 10 grams of fat, saturated fat 7/8 grams, polyunsaturated fat 5 grams, monounsaturated fat 3 grams, cholesterol 127 mg, potassium, 476 mg, carbohydrates 10 grams, fiber, 4.5 grams, sugars 4.5 grams, protein 16. If you go with the pepperoni you’ll add a ton of bad stuff, so go veggies like tomatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, which are nearly inert for dietary penalties.

• admin April 18, 2014 at 1:48 pm Reply

Thanks for the nutritional information, Randy!

20. […] other pizza crust I tried was cauliflower. Because I love cauliflower. It’s pretty versatile. You can make it like rice. You can mash it. […]

21. Collin Freeman June 8, 2014 at 6:24 pm Reply

My family and I are doing a low carb diet, and saw your recipe and decided to try it. It was a complete success! If you are not a fan of Cauliflower do not be discouraged by the fact that the crust is made out of it because you can’t even taste it.

22. Jennifer Ratkovich August 15, 2014 at 9:48 am Reply

If you use a juicer for the cauliflower you’re left with pulp that you don’t have to dry or squeeze moisture out of!

23. Kelly September 14, 2014 at 12:59 pm Reply

I’m in the process of making this and have a few questions.

1. I ringed the water out for about 5 minutes. After adding all the ingredients (including the egg) it’s moist again. Is that ok?

2. My husband doesn’t get home from work for another couple hrs. Will this keep if I put it in the fridge before cooking it? Or would you suggest baking it the first time then when he gets home adding the toppings?

Thanks,

Kelly

• admin September 14, 2014 at 6:33 pm Reply

Hi Kelly,

Sorry that I just noticed this!

1. It’s okay if it’s still moist! It needs to be moist enough to hold together its shape. I’m sure that if you wrung the water out for 5 minutes that you’ve wrung out enough liquid. :)

2. It will hold in the fridge before baking, just don’t cover it or it will condensate in its container.

My apologies if this is much too late of a response–I hope your crust turned out well!

24. Low Carb-in’ It Up | kingandcowan September 20, 2014 at 3:09 pm Reply